Friday, May 6, 2011

Runyan Relays

Jon Runyan Classic is named after a former football player who went to high school at Carman-Ainsworth then went on to star at the University of Michigan and continue on in the NFL.

This meet is a fast, fun, relay style and something alittle different for the High schoolers. It started off sunny with a little wind, then it started to rain and wind, then 5 min later sunny, then rain again, it seemed like the first 45 min it continued to switch back and forth. Finally it stayed Sunny but got pretty windy in the middle of the meet which slowed down the times. Overall this is more of a sprinters meet but its good for the distance guys to get some speed in also. Overall Owosso Boy's got 2nd overall in the Small Schools which included Flint Hamady, Lake Fenton, Owosso, Flint Powers, Flint South-Academy, St.Clair and Flint Northwestern. The girls got 3rd overall with lots of new P.Rs. It was a fun meet and turned out to be nice day overall.

I also got to run at this meet, In the middle of the meet they have a race for who ever wants to run. The race is called "Worlds Fastest Meet" which in total is a mile long. There are 4 races total tho, You run a 200 as fast as you can and if you win you get a medal. Then you run to the 400 mark and if you win you get a medal. Next you run another lap for 800 meters and if you win you get a medal, finally you run 2 more laps to make it a mile and if you win you get a medal. The Girls team first asked me run this the day before hand and I said I would. The race starts and it was pretty wind and the first 25 meters 4 guys almost fall trying to win the first 200. I just stayed in 8th place because I knew I wouldn't win that part. I came through in 30.5 sec and 6 guys stopped but I was now 10 meters back so I tried to get closer. Got to the 400 and I was pretty tired now from the first 200 (latic acid) and now I'm going into the wind. I'm now right behind the leader and we get to the 800 and I don't even try to win the 800 thinking the guy in front would stop but nope...he kept going and I'm thinking I'm dead and I don't know if I can continue this pace. I use the wind on the last lap try to pass the guy but he won't let me so I decide to slow down and wait till the last 100 but the wind is horrible. I then decide give it one last shot so I put my head down and dig the last 80 meters and the guy is coming back so I pump my arms and I lean at the line. I win the race and in 4:52 haha, It felt like I had run 4:30 mile but overall it was a fun race. I also got my picture taken by Mlive.com with my brooks Id jersey on and I think the Owosso track team thought it was fun to cheer on one of the coaches instead of the coaches cheering for them.... Run Happy !!!

Here's the video of the race... http://videos.mlive.com/flintjournal/2011/05/great_finish_to_worlds_fastest.html##

No comments:

Post a Comment