Sunday, April 11, 2010

Martian 10k

Yesterday I ran the Martian 10k down in Dearborn Michigan. I was signed up as one of the elite runners for the 10k race. I was almost going to not show up because it was so far away, but I did go and it took me 1 1/2 hours to get there so I had to leave at 5:30 am. I got there and didn't know where to park and where the sign in place was. So luckily it was right there by the park so I could find it easy. I went to sign in and I found out I was to sign in in the "Elite" tent, lol I was like ok, where is this at. I'm looking everywhere and I find it by the start/finish area. I get a tag that says "Elite Athlete" and I get a warm tent to get ready and they had free food. I was waiting and I was like holy crap theres 4 Kenyan runners and a bunch of D-1 runners and finally I find another "playmakers" runners and we get warmed up and we got to cut to the front of the race.
The start I am up with the top guys but I knew I was in trouble when I hit in 5:00 which is to fast for the shape I'm in right now. I fall back and I got lucky another guy was with me to help push myself most the race and we go through 5k in 16:00 which is to slow and I'm dying with 2 miles left I just can't go any faster, I could go forever but couldn't go faster. (I only done one speed work out in the past 4 months) I keep trying to drop the guy with me at the end and then I do on one of the up hills in the last 1 1/2 miles. We are within the last 1/2 mile now and I look and i have about 5-10 sec lead on the next guy so I wasn't to worried but the 5k/half marathon runners are finishing with us so i lost track of the guy behind me but luckily I had enough left to beat him by 3 sec. I felt great at the end and got in 5 mile cool down with playmakers guys and some other elite guys. winner was 30:20's which is flying, but the weather was awesome and very little wind. I was 14th overall and 33:04 (5:19 pace).
The next few weeks i'm going to increase my mileage and try some speed work and try to get in a fast 5k by may or june....I want to get my middle school kids going so hopefully some speed work will get them going.

Hope all is well and Run Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment