Monday, February 14, 2011

M.I.T.C.A. Track and Field Coach's Clinic

It's been a few days sense I've updated on what going on. I've been keepin busy with running, snowmobiling, Coach's clinic. Last week was my 10th week at 70 or more miles which is the most/longest I've done ever and I feel pretty good. The only thing is my average pace is to fast, atleast I think it is....6:10 pace average and when I try to slow it down for easy days, it feels like I'm going about 8 min pace but I guess its a good problem as long as I can stay healthy (knock on wood). My Long runs are starting to get up to 14 miles and I starting to feel pretty good the whole way. I've also been running with one of my XC/track girl runner 3 times a week for a slower second run trying to get her base up for track. Today we did a 4 miler at steady state pace (6:34 pace) which is good for having 30+ winds.
Last Friday all the track coaches went down to Lansing for MITCA Coaches clinic. I got to listen to Mike Parker from Iowa. He's won multiple state titles in XC and Track and won multiple coach of the year awards. He ran for Kansas and he was great to listen to. He talked about 1600/3200 training, Distance-Mental Training for Peak Performance and The art of Coaching-You can be Successful. The most I learned was from the Distance -Mental Training for Peak Performance, He talked about visualizing the race days in advance from how to get out the first 100 meter, to the smell of gun powder, what position/time you want to be at. I started to do this while I was in college I felt it helped me not be so nervous for the big meets like XC regionals and Nationals. I also listen to Jason Robiner about some Injury prevention and rehab for distance runners which was helpful because a lot of my runners get shin splints and knee/hip pains. Jason talked about how to help relieve some of these pains with simple foam roller.
Hope everyone is stayin healthy and Running Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment