Saturday, March 27, 2010

Flushing Half Marathon

I want to start off by saying sorry it's been so long sense I last updated this. I been pretty busy now that I have started coaching the middle school track team and I live a boring life.

Today was my first half marathon down in Flushing , Michigan which is close to Flint Michigan. It started at 9:30 in the morning it was a brisk 32 degrees out which is not my favorite running weather. Also the wind decided it wanted to show up also, most the race was either into the wind or at the side of us. I wasn't to nervous at this race, I just wanted to get it over with and see if I like it or not. This is the longest race I have done so far.
I get warmed up with two miles nice and easy and then do some strides and I am freezing with the wind and cold weather. I wore my Brooks ID jersey with a pair of arm warmers and my new Brooks T6 road shoes. We start off and the first mile I feel great it goes out and do a out and back in a small sub division and then we rejoin the 5k loop. I was leading up till the mile then a local kid who now runs for Eastern Michigan university joins me at the front of the race, I feel good till we get to the 3 1/2 mile mark and we are running average 5:22 /mile pace and it's a little to quick for me so I back off because I have no idea if I can keep this pace or am I going to "die" at mile 11. I fall back around 15 sec back from the leader and just chill and I am a little a head of pace then we get to the 2 loop finish. The course finished with two 4 mile loops which I do not like, I get to bored and I fall into a relaxed pace and never can get out of it. Which was the case plus we had to watch out for cars that didn't want to move or stop. The second loop I have to contend with the other runners and cars which wasn't very much fun. I end up 2nd overall with a unofficial time of 1:13:18, the computer didn't want to work I guess so the official time I might never know. Cool down was only 2 miles...calf/solus very very sore. Overall I was happy with my race, the conditions were cold and next time I will know more of a pace I can run and not be scared I might "die' towards the end of the race.-Run Happy
Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment